Does this describe you?
You kicked off your career a few years ago and your interests are varied, but your primary focus is becoming an accomplished urban designer working on multi-disciplinary projects that address land use, mobility, design, and community issues. Detailing door jambs or retaining walls is not your goal but using your design and planning skills to solve complex urban issues is right up your alley! You want to work on urban infill and revitalization, transit-oriented design, and master planning assignments at different scales and with others who share your passion. You have graduated with a degree in urban design, architecture, or landscape architecture and may also have a second degree in planning. You want to be part of a firm that celebrates and embraces history, context, environmental awareness, and sustainability. Your clients include cities and private developers, corporate and academic institutions, and quasi-government agencies. Because you are early in your career, mentoring is important, and you will want to surround yourself with senior staff who can will listen to your needs and provide guidance and support.
Typical week in the life of an Ascent Urban Designer:
We are seeking to fill this position in our Sacramento and/or San Diego office. In a typical week you may:
- Prepare ideas and diagrams for a public realm or streetscape project
- Work on a charette demonstrating your design skills to revitalize an historic part of a city
- Layout a Specific Plan or Community Plan document in InDesign, that includes diagrams of circulation, open space, parks
- Work on Design Guidelines or Standards for a main street or town center to strengthen community form
- Prepare presentation boards for an upcoming project interview
- Collaborate with climate change professionals on greenhouse gas and other sustainability issues
- Coordinate with environmental and natural resource professionals on ecosystem conservation
- Be mentored by senior staff on drawing and writing standards
- Receive training and support on the latest software to advance your urban design career
- Enjoy social and community service events, and the camaraderie of being an Ascentian
If you're interested, here's a bit more:
We are actively seeking candidates who 5 to 7 years of experience in the field of urban design.
Professional qualifications must include:
- Advanced degree in Urban Design. Or, an advanced degree in Planning, combined with a professional degree in Architecture or Landscape Architecture.
- Excellent design skills, including the ability to communicate ideas simply on trace paper.
- Advanced knowledge of the latest computer software programs that convey both 2D and 3D illustrations, cross-sections, diagrams, and renderings, such as AutoCAD, Rhino, Sketch Up, and Lumion.
- Working GIS knowledge. Experience with City Engine, ArcGIS Urban, and/or Urban Footprint is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Cloud programs, including InDesign and Illustrator, and document production skills, such as the ability to lay out and manage presentation boards and planning documents.
- Research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Engaging interpersonal skills. Ability to work with others and be collaborative is of high importance.
Please e-mail a letter of interest, your resume, and a PDF of your design portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.